Ultrasonic Testing (UT) uses high frequency sound energy to conduct examinations and make measurements. Ultrasonic inspection can be used for flaw detection/evaluation, dimensional measurements, and more. Ultrasonic Inspection is a useful and versatile NDT method. Some of the advantages of ultrasonic inspection are:
- It is sensitive to both surface and subsurface discontinuities.
- Only single-sided access is needed when the pulse-echo technique is used.
- It is highly accurate in determining reflector position and estimating size and shape.
- Provides instantaneous results.
- It has other uses, such as thickness measurement, in addition to flaw detection.